Where do you want your STEM education to take you? The AEOP Undergraduate Apprenticeship program invites you to elevate your STEM knowledge and experience and take part in the research that is shaping the future of our nation. If you are interested in pursuing a career in STEM or want to take the next step in your STEM education, an AEOP Undergraduate Apprenticeship may be right for you. As an apprentice, you will gain first hand exposure to the cutting edge research that is happening in top university labs and U.S. Army Research Laboratories and Centers across the country. Working under the mentorship of a professional scientist or engineer, you will learn about the variety of paths in your STEM field of interest and develop the tools you need to get there. Let AEOP help you achieve your STEM education and career goals!
AEOP Apprenticeship Benefits
- Stand out from your peers by making the most of your summer or the academic year. The experience of an AEOP apprenticeship looks good to graduate school admissions officers and recruiters for STEM jobs.
- Be in the room where it happens. Apply classroom knowledge and feed your curiosity by immersing yourself in the research world. Not only will you be exposed to high-tech equipment and cutting edge techniques, but you will learn the sounds, smells, and the pace of the lab. Learn the culture of STEM.
- Mentorship is the special sauce. There is so much to learn from the people in the lab. As an AEOP Apprentice you will receive formal mentorship from a professional scientist or engineer. In addition to this, there will be multiple opportunities for you to learn from the STEM practitioners, of varying levels of experience, around you. Receive guidance and coaching and start building a network that will make all the difference in your STEM journey.
- Research that matters. U.S. Army-sponsored research addresses the Nation’s biggest challenges. An AEOP apprenticeship provides the opportunity to be part of the long history of discovery and innovation for the benefit of our country.
- Ongoing support. Connect with a community of like-minded peers, other AEOP apprentices from throughout the country. Take advantage of the AEOP’s ongoing webinar series that highlights hot STEM careers, research areas, and additional opportunities with the AEOP. Or, attend a workshop to build skills required for graduate school applications and/or your job search.
- Earn a stipend. Not only is participation in the AEOP free, all AEOP apprentices receive an educational stipend in recognition of their work.
Information for Applicants
- In collaboration with universities and U.S. Army Research Laboratories and Centers, the AEOP is proud to offer summer, semester, and year-round apprenticeships for undergraduate students throughout the country.
- Apprenticeships take place onsite unless otherwise noted. (In the case of location closures due to COVID-19 restrictions, apprenticeships may be offered remotely or cancelled depending on individual location circumstances.)
- AEOP Undergraduate Apprenticeships are designed for commuters. Transportation, meals, and housing are not provided. It is important to keep this in mind when selecting locations in the application.
- Please review the application FAQ for application tips and answers to frequently asked questions. We strongly recommend that you write the essay and gather materials (transcript, etc.) before starting the application.
- At least one letters of recommendation are required for all undergraduate locations.
- There is no application fee and participation in AEOP Apprenticeships is free.
- All apprentices earn an educational stipend in recognition of their participation. The stipend amount varies by apprenticeship location and program duration. If selected for the apprenticeship, information about the stipend will be provided in the award letter.
Summer 2023 Undergraduate Apprenticeship applications are now closed.
Stay up-to-date with our application and future opportunities by joining our mailing list here.
AEOP Undergraduate Info Sessions
There are no upcoming Undergraduate Apprenticeship info sessions.
All participants must be current undergraduate students who are U.S. citizens or permanent legal residents. Additional eligibility requirements vary by location.
January 12, 2023 - March 5, 2023
Summer 2023 Undergraduate Apprenticeships applications open
Undergraduate Apprenticeships (specific dates determined by location)
All 2023 Summer Undergraduate Apprenticeship applications are now closed.
Interested in This Program?
If you are interested in this program email us or call 585-475-4529. We'd love to hear from you!
Undergraduate ApprenticeshipsRead The Story
Undergraduate Apprenticeships ON THE BLOG
Into Unchartered Territory: An AEOP Apprentice’s Research Experience
August 8, 2022Read The Story