The AEOP Technical Symposia Travel Award is designed to encourage AEOP program participants and alumni to engage in scientific meetings/technical symposia to showcase their STEM research. Participation in scientific meetings/technical symposia will expand and enrich current AEOP students’ educational experiences by interacting and networking with STEM professionals in the field, exploring a variety of STEM disciplines and careers, gaining experience in communicating their research accomplishments, and serving as AEOP ambassadors. Additionally, it will provide AEOP alumni to reconnect with AEOP, present their current research or research conducted while with AEOP at technical symposia.
You'll Get To...
- expand and enrich your educational experiences by interacting and networking with STEM professionals in the field
- explore a variety of STEM disciplines and careers
- gain experience in communicating your research accomplishments
- serve as an AEOP ambassador
- reconnect with AEOP, and present your current research or research conducted while with AEOP
Current and alumni AEOP participants in any of the programs within the AEOP portfolio who have a paper, poster or other STEM-based research/scholarly work that has been accepted for national professional presentation may apply. Participants may apply to present their current research or research that they’ve conducted during their participation in AEOP. Mentors are not eligible for this award.
The travel award is for support to present your research at a professional technical symposia. The amount of the award is based on expenses incurred. Each award amount will be determined based on the expense summary you submit with your application. Funding will be disbursed in advance of travel date.
- Registration fees for conference or creative exhibition.
- Travel fees: plane fares, train fares, car rental, ground transportation.
- Lodging: up to, but not exceeding, the federal maximum per diem rate (http://www.gsa.gov).
- Food: up to, but not exceeding, the federal per diem rate.
- The award may NOT be used to cover individual membership dues for professional organizations or societies.
For minors under the age of 18, travel expenses (airfare, lodging, food) will be covered for the presenter and one parent/legal guardian.
Applications are accepted and reviewed on a continuing basis and must be submitted, including a letter of recommendation from a faculty mentor or Department of Defense (DoD) mentor (scientist or engineer at DoD research lab or center) familiar with your research discipline, at least six weeks prior to departure date. Participants and alumni must contact their respective AEOP program administrator to verify their status and receive a link to the application.
Interested in this program?
If you are interested in this program contact Stephanie Johnson by email. We'd love to hear from you!
Travel Awards ON THE BLOG
Travel Awards Make for an “Exciting and Enriching” Field Trip!
January 27, 2020Read the story