The WRAIR GEMS offers middle and high school students an exciting platform to engage in hands-on STEM activities that are designed to stimulate inquiry-based thinking, scientific skills, and interest in STEM careers. Rising 7th – 12th graders will have the opportunity to explore STEM in a sophisticated laboratory setting and learn about STEM careers under the guidance of college-level mentors called Near-Peer Mentors (NPMs).
Information for Near-Peer Mentor
The GEMS NPM is typically a college undergraduate or a HS senior. Closer in age to our students, NPMs share their STEM interests with the students, guide students in a hands-on exploration of STEM concepts, and develop meaningful connections throughout the week. In addition to a strong understanding of the STEM content, NPMs offer guidance in choosing high school courses, applying to college and scholarships, and adjusting to college-level academics. NPMs receive stipends based on their educational level.
- Competitive Stipend
- Hands on experience in life sciences, forensic science, computer science, and engineering
- Local or virtual internships available
- Expand your professional network within the Department of Defense
- Mentor and Teach America’s Future
- 4 or 8 week internships available
- Work in teams with other college students from across the Nation
- High School Juniors or Seniors may apply with leadership and hands-on biomedical or coding experience.
- Near Peer Mentors will receive training and collaborate with the primary instructors. During the day camp, Near Peer Mentors will interact with middle and high school participants full time by assisting and/or leading experiments/challenges to include: laboratory experiments, coding (block and Python), engineering, and robotics.
- Near Peers are selected to teach a specific class.
Apply TODAY! Applications are open till January 16th, 2020.
Information for Students
*Session dates listed under Important Dates!
Students can apply for a one-week session for Summer 2021 in our biomedical or engineering programs at one of the following levels (Fall 2021 Grade Levels):
- Beginning (7th-8thgrade)
- Intermediate (9th-10thgrade)
- Advanced (11th-12thgrade)
November 2020 - January 2021
Near-Peer Mentor Application Open
The Walter Reed Army Institute of Research
Headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland, the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research (WRAIR) is the oldest and most mission diverse biomedical research laboratory in the Department of Defense. WRAIR provides unique research capabilities and innovative solutions to a range of force health and readiness challenges currently facing U.S. Service Members, along with threats anticipated during future operations. With comprehensive research units in Africa, Asia, and the Caucasus region, WRAIR is comprised of two Centers of Excellence, the Center for Infectious Disease Research and the Center for Military Psychiatry and Neuroscience.
Interested in this program?
If you are interested in this program email us or call 301-319-7129. We'd love to hear from you!