The GEMS Summer Program in San Antonio provides students who are going into 6th through 12th grades in 2021 the opportunity to learn more about Army medical science and STEM. Programs are free of charge. If you enjoy hands-on activities and want to learn about science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) subjects and careers, apply to GEMS in San Antonio!
About the U.S. Army Institute of Surgical Research
The United States Army Institute of Surgical Research is delighted to host Gains in the Education of Mathematics and Science (GEMS) for the 11th year!
Welcoming middle and high school students, our summer program exposes student to laboratory-based experiments and encourages the development of teamwork and leadership skills. It is a four day camp with three sessions to choose from.
*NOTE: There will be no stipends for students who participate in GEMS virtually in summer 2021.
Students that will be entering the GEMS I Beginner are those entering the 6-8th grades and are welcome to apply for this GEMS program. This program offers students the opportunity to explore new pursuits in the life sciences and expand upon their current interests with unique hands-on experiences.
A new Intermediate course, formerly the Advanced Course is for High School rising- 9th and 10th graders. This program offers students the opportunity to explore new pursuits in the life sciences and expand upon their current interests with unique hands-on experiences.
The New Advanced Course if for High School 11th and 12th Graders. This program offers students the opportunity to expand on their current interests with unique hands-on experiences initiated by the students themselves. The course will incorporate teamwork and leadership skills as well as educational and career strategies.
All participants must be United States Citizens. All participants are eligible for an educational stipend.
Information for Volunteers
Near-Peer Mentors work collaboratively with resource teachers, scientists, and engineers to provide instruction and engage students in inquiry-based, hands-on lab activities related to USAISR’s research areas. Applicants must be U.S. citizens. Experience working with students is preferred.
- Competitive Stipend
- Hands on experience in life sciences, forensic science, computer science, and engineering
- Local or virtual internships available
- Expand your professional network within the Department of Defense
- Mentor and Teach America’s Future
- 4 or 8 week internships available
- Work in teams with other college students from across the Nation
- High School Juniors or Seniors may apply with leadership and hands-on biomedical or coding experience.
- Near Peer Mentors will receive training and collaborate with the primary instructors. During the day camp, Near Peer Mentors will interact with middle and high school participants full time by assisting and/or leading experiments/challenges to include: laboratory experiments, coding (block and Python), engineering, and robotics.
- Near Peers are selected to teach a specific class.
Apply TODAY! Applications are open till January 16th, 2020.
November 2020 - January 2021
Near-Peer Mentor Applications Open
February 3, 2021
Student Registration Opens
April 30, 2021
Student Registration Closes
June 14-18, 2021
June 21-25, 2021
July 12-16, 2021
Potential applicants should start now in seeking out their 2 letters of recommendation from their teachers and or counselors. Each letter should be descriptive of the students’ academic attributes, noting their GPA. Send the letters of recommendation to the local program coordinator by April 2021 via email.
The projected deadline is April 2021. Ensure that all Letters of Recommendations are sent by this date to email address: email@example.com.
Applicants will also need to prepare short essays on topics listed below. ***It is advisable to have written these essays into a word processing program so that you can cut and paste into the GEMS application.
– Please list the science activities in which you have participated; provide additional details on those you particularly enjoyed (no more than 3000 characters)
– Please describe your major academic, career and research areas of interests
Students will receive a $125 stipend for their participation upon completion of the program.
Interested in This Program?
If you are interested in this program email us or call 1-800-807-9852. We'd love to hear from you!