*Changes are being made on a site-by-site basis. Some sites are reopening their applications. Due to these changes, the selection process has been delayed for the REAP program. Students will be notified of their selections in the middle of May. Thank you for your patience. Please check back for programming updates as the COVID-19 situation unfolds.
REAP is a summer STEM program that places talented high school students, from groups historically underserved in STEM, in research apprenticeships at area colleges and universities. REAP apprentices work under the direct supervision of a mentor on a hands-on research project. REAP apprentices are exposed to the real world of research, gain valuable mentorship, and learn about education and career opportunities in STEM. REAP apprenticeships are five to eight weeks in length (minimum of 200 hours) and apprentices receive a stipend.
To find program locations, click on a state in the map below or download a locations list.
You'll Get To...
- receive a stipend for minimum of 200 hours
- work personally with a scientist or engineer doing real life research
- have the opportunity to do research at a university or college – an environment not available in local high schools
- gain self confidence in your STEM knowledge and abilities
- exposure to STEM careers
- have opportunity to present your research to your peers
Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent legal resident.
High school students must meet 2 of the following requirements:
- Rural, frontier or other targeted outreach schools
- Student is female in certain STEM fields, e.g., physical science, computer science, mathematics or engineering)
- Student is a minority historically underrepresented in STEM (Alaskan Native, Native American, Black or African American, Hispanic, Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander)
- Student qualifies for free or reduced lunch
- English as a Second Language student
- Student is first-generation college student
This program is for commuting students only. Students are required to travel to and from the program site daily. In addition, the program does not supply an allowance for housing, meals or travel reimbursement.
Interested in this program?
If you are interested in this program email us or call 585-475-2566. We'd love to hear from you!
Jordan Cortez Wartell
Research and Engineering Apprenticeship Program (REAP)Read the story
REAP ON THE BLOG
Calling Colleges and Universities: Become a Summer Host Site for High School STEM Apprentices!
August 23, 2018Read the story
Click a highlighted state to find a location near you