*Program is on track to continue as scheduled. Please check back for programming updates as the COVID-19 situation unfolds.
REAP is a summer STEM program that places talented high school students, from groups historically underserved in STEM, in research apprenticeships at area colleges and universities. REAP apprentices work under the direct supervision of a mentor on a hands-on research project. REAP apprentices are exposed to the real world of research, they gain valuable mentorship, and they learn about education and career opportunities in STEM. REAP apprenticeships are 5-8 weeks in length (minimum of 200 hours) and apprentices receive a stipend.
To find program locations, click on a state in the map below or download a locations list.
You'll Get To...
- receive a stipend for minimum of 200 hours
- work personally with a scientist or engineer doing real life research
- have the opportunity to do research at a university or college – an environment not available in local high schools
- gain self confidence in their abilities and exposure to STEM careers
- have opportunity to present your research to your peers
Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent legal resident
High school students must meet 2 of the following requirements:
- Rural, frontier, or other targeted outreach schools
- Student is female in certain STEM fields, e.g., physical science, computer science, mathematics, or engineering)
- Student is a minority historically under-represented in STEM (Alaskan Native, Native American, Black or African American, Hispanic, Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander)
- Student qualifies for free or reduced lunch
- English as a Second Language for the student
- Student is first-generation college student
This program is for commuting students only. Students are required to travel to and from the program site daily. In addition, the program does not supply an allowance for housing, meals or travel reimbursement.
December 16, 2019
Locations announced; Applications open
March 15, 2020
Applications close at 11:59 PM EST
March 16 - April 30, 2020
May 1, 2020
Notification of selection and non-selection to applicants
May 1 - May 31, 2020
Welcome letters to students, mentors and lab coordinators
June - August 2020
Interested in this program?
If you are interested in this program email us or call 585-475-2566. We'd love to hear from you!
Jordan Coretz Wartell
Research and Engineering Apprenticeship Program (REAP)Read the story
REAP ON THE BLOG
Calling Colleges and Universities: Become a Summer Host Site for High School STEM Apprentices!
August 23, 2018Read the story
Click a highlighted state to find a location near you
- North Carolina
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- Puerto Rico
- South Dakota
- US Virgin Islands
- West Virginia