HSAP provides current rising high school juniors and seniors with an authentic science and engineering research experience alongside university researchers sponsored by the Army Research Office. Though this commuter program, students will learn research methods and develop skills in Army critical research areas in a university lab setting, preparing them for the next steps of their educational and professional career.
You'll Get To...
- receive a stipend equivalent to $10 per hour for 8 to 10 weeks/up to 300 hours
- experience authentic science and engineering research
- be introduced to Army research and associated educational opportunities available to students through the Army’s Educational Outreach Program (AEOP) and DoD
- build experience in developing and presenting scientific research
- develop an independent research program in preparation for research fellowships, graduate school, and careers in science and engineering
- develop skills and background to prepare for competitive entry to science and engineering undergraduate programs
- benefit from the expertise of a scientist or engineer as a mentor for professional and engineering research
- Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent legal resident
- Current rising high school juniors and seniors are eligible
This program is for commuting students only. Students are required to travel to and from the program site daily. In addition, the program does not supply an allowance for housing, meals or travel reimbursement.
Summer Program Applications Open
Summer Program Applications Close
March 1 - March 31
April 1 - April 30
AAS notified by universities and labs of confirmed participants
Notification process of selections & non-selections to students begin
May 1 - May 31
Welcome letters to students, mentors & lab coordinators
June - August
Summer Apprenticeships - Weekly notices to students, mentors/directors/lab coordinators
Interested in this program?
If you are interested in this program email us. We'd love to hear from you!
Mary Catherine Lorio
High School Apprenticeship Program (HSAP)Read the story