The United States Army has long recognized that a scientifically and technologically literate citizenry is our nation’s best hope for a secure, rewarding, and successful future.
For over 50 years, the Army has supported a wide range of educational opportunities in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) for our youth, college and graduate students, as well as our valued teachers.
The need for STEM literacy – the ability to understand and apply concepts from science, technology, engineering and mathematics in order to solve our nation’s most complex problems – is growing exponentially. The requirement for STEM literacy goes beyond the traditional STEM occupations of scientist, engineer and mathematician. The Army also has a growing need for highly qualified, STEM-literate technicians and skilled workers in advanced manufacturing, logistics, management and other technology-driven fields. Success and sustainment for the Army’s Science & Technology Enterprise heavily depends on the continuous development of innovative solutions that protect the greatest asset – our Soldier – and our nation, against current and emerging threats.
Through AEOP, the Army continues its long tradition and strong commitment to the advancement of STEM education and literacy. Leveraging its most valuable assets – world-class scientists and engineers and research facilities – AEOP offers our nation’s youth and teachers a collaborative, cohesive portfolio of opportunities that effectively engage future workforce generations in meaningful, real-world STEM experiences, competitions and paid internships.
From elementary school through graduate school, students of all proficiency levels, interests, social and economic backgrounds are encouraged to participate in real-world STEM experiences while also engaging with Army-sponsored mentors.
To provide both students and teachers a collaborative, cohesive, portfolio of Army-sponsored STEM programs that effectively engage, inspire, and attract the next generation of STEM talent through K through college programs and expose them to DoD STEM careers.
A diverse, agile, highly competent STEM talent pool, representative of our nation’s demographics to supply the Army, DoD, and the Nation’s workforce.
AEOP Priorities & Core Objectives
STEM Literate Citizenry
Broaden, deepen, and diversify the pool of STEM talent in support of our Defense Industry Base (DIB)
- Encourage and reward student participation in STEM opportunities
- Inspire students to excel in science and mathematics
- Increase participation of underserved populations in AEOP
- Expand involvement of students in ongoing DoD research
- Increase awareness of DoD STEM career opportunities
- Increase participants’ awareness of AEOP opportunities to further their interest and engagement in STEM
STEM Savvy Educators
Support and empower educators with unique Army research and technology resources
- Partner with schools and teachers at local and state educational agencies for shared standards in science and mathematics
- Use incentives to promote teacher participation in AEOP
- Provide online resources for educators to share best practices
- Provide and expand mentor capacity of the Army’s highly qualified scientists and engineers
- Increase educators’ awareness of AEOP’s pipeline of opportunities
Develop and implement a cohesive, coordinated, and sustainable STEM education outreach infrastructure
- Develop and implement cohesive program metrics for each individual program and across all of AEOP
- Provide STEM educational opportunities for students at all stages of their K-12 education
- Develop, capture and communicate program standards and best practices
- Integrate programs into strategic and comprehensive marketing strategy inclusive of a centralized website and application tool
- Establish competitive process for funding new STEM investments that align to overall program strategy
- Support and compliment the Federal STEM Strategy