Looking for a fun-filled educational activity during the summer? Look no further…GEMS Camp (Gains in the Education of Math and Science) will be held in Champaign, Illinois this summer!
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers at the Construction Engineering Research Laboratory (CERL) will be hosting two FREE STEM based day camps this summer. Come experience STEM alongside the scientists and engineers at CERL through a variety of hands-on activities. Plus, see what it is like to have a STEM career within the U.S. Army.
Gems I: Rising grades 9th-12th
Gems II: Rising grades 6th-8th
Near Peer Mentors: Rising Freshmen-Seniors in college (rising 11th and 12th graders will also be considered for GEMS II)
- Cultivate curiosity
- Encourage students to take advanced courses
- Engage participants in rigorous and competitive scientific activities
- Offer opportunities for student interns to conduct research in a working laboratory
- Provide active learning experiments that merge concept with technical skills
- Challenge students with advanced protocols
- Applications submitted BEFORE or AFTER the registration period will not be considered.
- Applicants must submit an essay (min. 100 words) as part of their application.
January 3, 2024
Near Peer Mentor and Student Applications Open
March 15, 2024
Near Peer Mentor and Student Applications Close
July 15 - 19, 2024
July 22 - 26, 2024
Interested in This Program?
If you are interested in this program contact CERL Outreach Coordinator by email. We'd love to hear from you!