The 2015 REAP application will be available in Spring of 2015. Check back for more information.
REAP is part of the portfolio of opportunities funded by the Army Educational Outreach Program (AEOP) in the effort to encourage Americans to pursue education and careers in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) to ultimately fulfill the nation’s economic and security needs.
REAP is a summer program that places talented high school students, from groups historically under-represented and underserved in STEM, in research apprenticeships at pre-determined area colleges and universities. Each REAP apprentice works under the direct supervision of a scientist or engineer on a hands-on research project. Through the REAP experience, apprentices are exposed to the real world of research, they gain valuable mentorship, and they learn about education and career opportunities in STEM.
REAP apprenticeships are 6-8 weeks in length (minimum of 200 hours) and apprentices receive a stipend of $1,500 for their participation.
REAP students must be from groups that are underserved and underrepresented in STEM. They must self-identify as meeting two or more of the criteria listed below:
- Student self-identifies as qualifying for free or reduced lunch.
- Student self-identifies as a minority historically underrepresented in STEM (Alaskan Native, Native American, Black or African American, Hispanic, Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander)
- Student is a female pursuing research in physical science, computer science, mathematics, or engineering.
- Student receives special education services.
- Student has a disability.
- English is a second language for the student.
- Student is a potential first-generation college student(parents did not attend college).
Information provided in the REAP application, the applicant’s academic record and recommendations and, when possible, information from the applicant’s interview are weighed in the selection of REAP apprentices.
For more information, visit the REAP home page or Email email@example.com.