The College Qualified Leaders (CQL) program matches practicing DoD scientists with talented college and graduate students creating a direct mentor-student relationship, providing participants with training that is unparalleled at most colleges. CQL students receive firsthand research experience and exposure to DoD laboratories. CQL fosters desire in its participants to pursue further training and careers in STEM. Selected participants receive a stipend based on education and experience and may participate year-round.
• CQL internship is primarily designed for greater than 6 month work-study internships.
• CQL internships are available year round and for the summer only.
• NOTE: 8-12 week summer internships are seldom awarded (except for Near-Peer mentorships, see GEMS program)
• Applications can be submitted at any time throughout the year. There is no deadline for applying.
• Afford program mentors the opportunity to have fully trained students return to their laboratory during their college years for longer term internships and research opportunities.
• Mentors have the opportunity to share their passion for science with talented undergraduates.
• Give CQL students the opportunity to continue their research and training.
• Establish a pool of students preparing for careers in science and engineering with a view toward potential government service.
• Undergraduates and graduates learn the research process in an active laboratory.
• Prepare a new generation of scientists to be mentors.
Applications are accepted year-round. The schedule below is for summer-only positions.
• Nov: Student application opens
• Late Feb: Applications due
• Mar-Apr: Applications reviewed & participants selected
• Apr-May: Selected students notified
• Jun-Aug: Students participate in CQL program (dates vary by location)