GEMS Program Camp
Looking for a fun-filled educational activity during the summer? Look no further…GEMS Camp (Gains the in the Education of Math and Science) will be held in Champaign, Illinois this summer!
GEMS programs give students in grades 7-11 an opportunity to learn at an Army laboratory and be exposed to career opportunities in the areas of math and science. Participating students will receive an educational stipend.
- Cultivate curiosity
- Encourage students to take advanced courses
- Engage participants in rigorous and competitive scientific activities
- Offer opportunities for student interns to conduct research in a working laboratory
- Provide active learning experiments that merge concept with technical skills
- Challenge students with advanced protocols
|2017 Dates||GEMS Level||Program Description||
Fall 2017 Grade Level
|June 19-23||GEMS I||Algae in Lake Carson? – Students will spend the week exploring water and the environment. Participants will put on their detective caps and use tools from chemistry, physics, and biology to solve the mystery of who is polluting fictional Lake Carson.||7-8|
|July 17-21||GEMS II||Forensics – Students will analyze a crime scene and determine who is guilty from the evidence collected and tests conducted during the week.||9-11|
Application Period: February 1, 2017 to March 31, 2017
*Applications submitted BEFORE or AFTER the registration period will not be considered. Applicants must submit an essay (min. 500 words) as part of their application.
*Click here to read the 2017 GEMS FAQs..